Inconvenient Site Columns

Windows SharePoint Services (WSS) v3 introduces the concept of Site Columns: reusable fields which can be used for creating content definition across the whole Site Collection. While this concept allows you to manage the way content is stored, you have to be really careful when working with Site Columns in custom development.

Inconvenient WSSv3 RSS Feeds

Windows SharePoint Services v3 ships with a possibility to create RSS Feeds for every List. This feature is quite powerful as it allows you to create multiple RSS Feeds for one List based on Views. If you have worked with Lists at least a bit, you know that you can quite easily create a custom View using the standard SharePoint interface. Without any problems you will be able to define the filter and apply the sorting criteria.

Inconvenient SPWeb.GetFile(string)

Recently I've been working on a piece of code which would obtain an instance of SPFile using either a GUID or the server relative URL. You don't have to search long to find out that the SPWeb provides a method to do that: GetFile(String). According to the WSS v3 SDK it should return the file object located at the specific URL.

Inconvenient Content Editor Web Part

The Content Editor Web Part (CEWP) shipped with SharePoint 2007 is just one of these ordinary Web Parts: they don't introduce any extraordinary functionality, yet we all use them in our solutions for some reason. Because this Web Part is all about displaying the Rich Text you have entered, you might think, that it is almost impossible to mess that up. Unfortunately...

Inconvenient PublishingStartDate and PublishingEndDate

Recently, while working on a custom content aggregation solution, I stumbled upon another inconvenience in SharePoint 2007 WCM. While trying to sort the query results on PublishingStartDate I got an exception that there is no such field. I found it quite odd since the Content Type of which the pages I was querying definitely had the PublishingStartDate. I have even triple checked it in the Content Type definition, in the SharePoint Web UI and using the Imtech Fields Explorer. However, while looking at the Pages Library I have noticed that while the Content Type has been bound correctly, both the PublishingStartDate and PublishingEndDate weren't there. After deleting and binding the Content Type again I have confirmed that while both these fields exist in the Content Type they are not getting added to the Pages Library. What's more, I wasn't even able to add these fields manually!