About two years ago I created a Feature for SharePoint 2007 which allowed you to generate an XML Sitemap for your site. XML Sitemaps are a standard way to notify search engines about the content on your website. And while you might consider creating an XML Sitemap for your website manually for a small site, having to manage a few hundred pages makes it quickly a pretty tedious process. Being able to do that automatically would be a great improvement and so I’ve made the XML Sitemap Feature v1.0. While it did the job it was more of a proof-of-concept than a solution that you would use in real-life. It had too many limitations to be really useful in real-world scenarios. And so the v2.0 has been born.
One of the things that matter when optimizing an Internet-facing website for search engines is the page title. Next to the level one header (H1) and the URL, the page title is one of the most important elements of your page that allows search engine to find your page. A good page title consists of at least the title of the current page and the title of the website. Additionally, if the site is quite large you can add the name of the section. And although it doesn’t sound like rocket science it is quite inconvenient to do it right in SharePoint.
We all know Microsoft Office SharePoint Server (MOSS) 2007 Web Content Management (WCM) solutions for their Pages URL’s. Purist web designers/developers hate SharePoint not only for the fact that it’s injecting something into URL’s but mostly for the inability of changing anything about it. And while many people think that SharePoint and semantic URL’s just don’t play along, it turns out that there is a solution – one that doesn’t involve a single line of custom code.
Almost half a year ago I’ve release the first version of the Imtech SEO Slugs Windows Live Writer Plugin. Using the selected text the plugin generates a Search Engine Optimized slug for your post by removing all the noise words. By default slugs are being generated using the post’s title which usually doesn’t contain any HTML markup. There might be situations however when you would like to generate a slug using some text in the body instead.
Yesterday I’ve found out about one of the new features of .NET 3.5 SP1: the renderAllHiddenFieldsAtTopOfForm setting which allows you to control where in the page the hidden fields are being rendered. Today I gave it a shot in combination with a SharePoint Web Content Management solution…