Once in a while I like to get back to “old stuff”. It allows me to look once again at the things I’ve already done but then from another perspective: between now and then I’ve done a few projects, I’ve read a couple articles/books and spoken to some people. So it’s not surprising that quite often I find some new insights about the subjects I thought were closed. One of such topics was using the PageAsyncTask class to improve the performance of your website.
I’ve just got a confirmation from Microsoft: Ton Stegeman (MOSS MVP) and I will be on the Ask the Expert booth @ DevDays ‘09. We’ll be there to answer all your SharePoint questions. Looking forward to meet you. See you at the DevDays ‘09!
For quite some time I have been busy with trying to increase my productivity while working on SharePoint solutions. In the last two years I helped design a couple of tools and developed a few of them myself: all that to simplify the most common tasks and be able to focus on the solution-specific things. Recently I have focused on code generation: based on the information already present either in SharePoint or in your solution generate source code. You can see a part of the results of my efforts in Imtech Fields Explorer: generating wrapper classes and Page Layouts. What I’ve learned is that generating source code with code can get really complex. But just recently I’ve found a simpler way to get the things done: introducing Imtech SharePoint Templates for CodeSmith.
First of all Sandra de Ridder of Macaw will discuss the SharePoint User eXperience (UX). She will cover different aspects of the default SharePoint UX and will give us some tips on how the user experience of SharePoint solutions could be improved.
While working with SharePoint I have stumbled upon quite some inconveniences. Most of the time they were in methods that you don’t use that often, and when you do, you expect them to do something else than they actually do. I probably haven’t worked on a single SharePoint project where I wasn’t instantiating sites. So I was quite surprised when I found out that even something as simple as SPSite.OpenWeb doesn’t always do what you would it expect it to.